Hancey Family

Adam and I have been married since 2003. We met while attending Utah State University. I graduated in 2005 with a degree in Sociology and Adam graduated in 2007 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I am currently a stay at home Mom and Adam is a Engineer working in aviation. We have three wonderful daughters, Riley, Kaitlyn and Eden. Riley is 6 and enjoys playing Barbie and going to Kindergarten. Kaitlyn is 4 and is a ball of energy who enjoys getting into trouble. Eden 18M and enjoys being the baby and getting all the attention.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mr. Gator and Friends!

Alligator Attacks

Q: Will alligators attack when they see a human?

A: Alligators don't usually attack people when they see them because they have a natural fear of humans. Alligators are a common sight in many parts of Florida.

However, alligators do occasionally attack people. There have been 16 reported fatal alligator attacks on people in Florida since the 1950s, and 15 to 20 non-fatal alligator attacks occur in Florida each year, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC). Most alligator attacks on people seem to take place while people are in the water.

I can't tell you that you will or won't be attacked by an alligator. No one can. But you can decrease your chances of an attack by:

  • keeping a good distance from any alligators that you see

  • never throwing things at alligators or harassing them in any way

  • never feeding alligators, which can cause them to lose their fear of people

  • keeping your arms, legs, hands and feet inside the boat while you are on the water

  • being aware of the possible presence of alligators while you are swimming or are near a body of water

Learning about alligators will help you understand them.

Look what we found outside our front door a mere 25ft or so. There is No Fence or any barrier between us or them. We could walk out the front door and Hello Mr. Gator. We could only get a few pictures, but we saw two others. They seem to be shy of humans and would go under if we made too much noise. I have been teasing the kids by opening the front door and telling them I was going to feed them to the gators. Oops...little did I know a little family of them living out front. I guess we really are living in Florida :)

2 comments:

Kyle/Michelle said...

Um... I don't think I'd ever leave my house. :)

Natasha Wheatley said...

There is a state park here in Texas where there are HUGE alligators... like 20 foot ones... with no fences or anything! Andy loves taking visitors there to freak them out. They just creep me out!